Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Perks of Chemotherapy

I’m about halfway through my chemotherapy now (only 31 more days till the fourth and last one!). It hasn’t been the nicest experience of my lifetime, but it’s been bearable—especially since my doctors reassure me that I can consider myself cured when I’ve completed the radiation treatment that will follow. Because of that, I’ve been able to endure my cancer treatment with better grace than I might otherwise and also keep my sense of humor. Hey folks, I’m fine, and I’m going to stay that way! To be honest, I’ve suffered few side effects compared to the more usual course of chemo. I’ve been so fortunate, and I am very grateful. All the same, I was not happy when 98% of my hair fell out, and the dental sensitivity I feel for the first week after each infusion is distressing. I never knew how cold my head would get without hair, and I can’t get used to looking at myself in the mirror, because the reflection I see just is NOT me!

There have been a few compensations:

I never knew how many truly wonderful friends I had. They pitch in to help whenever and with whatever. Need a ride to your chemo or radiation treatment? They're there. Need someone to talk to when you're feeling down? They are on-call. Want somebody to put in a few extra prayers on your behalf? You don't even need to ask. I am surrounded by love, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are awesome!

I’ve been approved for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) if I need to take time off due to my illness. Since I’ve been fortunate enough not to feel sick because of the chemotherapy, I’ve been able to continue my normal work routine, only taking off the day of my infusions , because I’m much too sleepy to work afterward (Ativan, an anti-nausea, anti-anxiety medicine that also makes you sleepy is part of the IV medication I get with the chemotherapy drugs).

If I ever suffer from nausea in the future, I have plenty of medication on hand to deal with it without going to the store.

Ever thought of breast reconstruction? In about another year, when the effects of radiation have taken their toll, I can get implants (or whatever) and insurance will pay.

Need something to put on your head? Are you unhappy with your current hairstyle or color? No problemo! Just head for a nice wig shop with plenty of inventory and try on whatever suits your fancy. You can match your current style and color or really go wild. Always wanted the long blonde California goddess look? You can have it! How about a cute little bob, shag, bangs in your face, or pixie cut? How about redhead, brunette, or frosted? Go for it Baby, the only limits are your imagination, facial shape, and the depth of your pocketbook!

Ever wondered how you’d look as a pirate? Clap on a couple heavy gold hoop earrings, stick a knife between your teeth, and you’ve got it! By the time Halloween rolls around, though, I’ll have hair again, so I'll have to consider a different costume. Maybe Cleopatra this year (hit the wig store)?

Seriously though, I’m only looking forward to when this process is over and I can get back to my normal life—whatever that is. Spring is coming! I have things to do, places to go, people to meet! I ain’t nearly done yet, brother, and I’ve got plans for my life!

No comments: