Sunday, December 19, 2010

Endings and Beginnings

The old year is winding down, and I’ve found it’s the perfect time to think of new beginnings. As of January 5th, I will begin a new job (actually, I’m returning to my PREVIOUS job), and there will necessarily be several other changes linked to that.

For instance, I will be working a different shift (at least for a while) so I hope to be better able to add in time for a daily walk with my dog and several daily hours with my horse. Roxi and I have both gotten a bit pudgy these past few months due to the lack of exercise, and though my horse Hadarah isn’t fat, she is suffering from a lack of activity as well. At least she’s seen me this winter, but that’s not really good enough. Also, spending time with my critters every day is the best thing I know of in terms of reducing my stress level, which has gotten rather far out of hand lately.

With all of that said, I’ve turned my attention back to my goals—MY goals, which had sadly fallen by the wayside over the past few years, what with buying and furnishing a house, and moving into a different job at work. I found that what I really wanted to do with my life had gotten lost in all the daily chores and tasks, and since I’m not getting any younger, it was past time for getting back to them.

So, yes, I DO have some New Year’s Resolutions this year. Yes, some of them DO have to do with losing weight and getting in shape, but the difference here is that in order to achieve those goals I was talking about, I HAVE to do it for myself, and it has nothing to do with fitting into a bikini. Please, I’m over 60, so that isn’t even on my horizon!

One thing I want to do next year is take a series of intensive riding lessons at the National School of Academic Equitation (there really is such a place) up in Snohomish County. Before I can do that, however, I need to get myself into better physical condition and save my money, because it isn’t cheap. At least they have school horses, so I don’t have to worry about trailering mine up there—an ordeal I would just as soon avoid. While Hadarah has perfectly good trailer manners, I just don’t want to have to deal with renting a truck and trailer or persuading one of my friends to haul us up there! Several weeks of instruction should give me the boost I’ve needed in terms of honing my riding skills. And in case you are wondering, yes I do know how to ride—but I want to improve enough to be able to show in dressage classes one of these days. There’s a lot more to riding than being able to stay on while your horse hauls you around on the trails. If that were all I wanted to accomplish, I’ve already done it.

I will be sending the manuscript for my book of poetry off to the publisher in another couple of weeks. It’s actually been done for a while, but I still had a few loose ends to tie up. It will be nice to be able to hold it in my hand and say, “I did this.” And, I really did all of the writing, editing, and formatting myself.

Sam is remodeling the small front bedroom in our house so I can use it for my office and craft room. Wow, a place where I have a real desk, and my yarn and sewing things are organized, not stacked around in bags all over the floor! I even have a real drop-leaf work table! I’ll have my own TV and wireless headphones too, so I can watch TV while knitting without bothering Sam (he despises TV).

Now to get past the Christmas Holidays . . . .

No comments: