Sunday, January 26, 2014

How 'Bout Them 'Hawks?


By now just about everyone knows that the Seattle Seahawks are going to the Superbowl again this year, even uninterested un-sports folk like me. Personally, I think it’s fantastic, and I am VERY happy for Pete Carroll, whom it appears has successfully made the transition from college to professional football.
Those of you who have read my blog for a while, know that my first two posts in 2008 were about pro sports in Seattle (“First Thoughts,” and “What Makes a Team?”). No, I’m not any more “into them” now than I was back then, though I must admit that I too have favorite players. Imagine that? I enjoy seeing the highlights on the evening news when the lads and lassies are doing well, and who can ever forget watching Richard Sherman* the first time he went into “beast mode?” It was a heck of a run!
With that said, I wish the Seahawks the very best at the Superbowl this year. Hopefully they won’t get robbed by a bad call like the last time; and I certainly hope they have good weather, since they’re slated to play outdoors in New Jersey! I don’t expect to host a group of fans that day, nor do I expect to park myself in front of the TV to watch, but I can make my own contribution to your Superbowl snack fare. Here’s my own recipe for homemade guacamole (believe me, homemade ALWAYS beats store-bought or stuff made from a mix). Give it a try—it’s super easy to make, and I hope you enjoy it! 

Aunt Di’s Homemade Guacamole

3 medium or 2 large ripe avocadoes
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
¼ cup cilantro, finely minced
1 medium jalapeno, minced (remove the stems and seeds if you want mild guacamole)
½ medium tomato, chopped
1 tsp. lime juice (NOT the sweetened kind)
Salt to taste
1 tsp. Fruit Fresh (optional) 

Cut each of the avocadoes in half, remove the seeds, and scoop the flesh out with a spoon. Mash the resulting flesh into a paste with a fork and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients, combine well, and cover, refrigerating until ready to serve. Try to make it at least one hour before you plan to serve it to allow the flavors to mature. Using Fruit Fresh is a trick I learned from canning. It will help keep the guacamole from turning brown.

*An "Oops!" Footnote: Well folks, now you really know I'm not a sports fan! It was Seahawks player Marshawn Lynch--NOT Richard Sherman-- who made the phrase "beast mode" popular. Oh well, I can still be a 12th man supporter, even if I get my facts cock-eyed.

 

 

No comments: