Friday, January 9, 2015

"Je Suis Charlie!"


I am certain I am not alone in my outrage at the recent murders of the Charlie Hebdo staff in Paris, France. I will not hesitate to stand with them or any other people wishing to express their ideas—no matter how outrageous they may be. I suppose the Muslims guilty of this horror felt words alone were insufficient to redress the crime of insulting the Prophet? I can only echo the immortal words of Voltaire, who’s been quoted many times over the past few days: “I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

You know, God does not need us measly mortals to defend him. Nor does Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Krishna, or Confucius! Their words and teachings must stand on their own and convince us one way or the other to follow them or not. Jesus’ good name is dragged in the mud every day, and yes, as a Christian it makes me angry, but I pray for those benighted individuals, as Jesus instructed us to do. If Allah is such a good and just god, I would think he would want the same. What kind of religion teaches that you’ll go to Heaven for murdering people? Lots of Muslims insist Islam doesn’t either, so where do all the murders and suicide bombings come from? How did these people get it wrong? Furthermore, what do Muslims plan to do about it?

Shariyah Law has no place in France where a mere 6% of the population is Muslim (according to the PBS News Hour yesterday). If you want to live under its restrictions, then I suggest you move to where the population has voted it to be the law of the land. Until then, WE live according to the freedoms granted to us under our respective Constitutions, among which is Freedom of Speech!—And, we have NO intention of giving it up.

From what I’ve seen on TV, I probably would think much of what Charlie Hebdo published was outrageous and offensive, but you know what? I just wouldn’t read it anymore. If what they publish is really so bad, then other people will also refuse to read it, it will go under and cease to publish altogether. That’s how things work here. You don’t silence people by killing them!

Vive la France!

No comments: